Varicose veins are diseases that quickly become chronic. The disease causes changes in the length and diameter of the veins, the appearance of nodes, thinning of the venous walls. Very often varicose veins are manifested during pregnancy, when the woman's body has significant loads against the background of hormonal changes.
Reasons for the appearance
If we consider the reasons under the influence of which varicose veins occur during pregnancy, there are several main ones:
- Change in weight.During pregnancy, veins appear on the legs due to an increase in weight of ten kilograms or more, which leads to an increase in pressure and load on the vessels;
- Hormonal changes in the body.During the formation of the fetus, a woman's hormonal background is repeatedly rebuilt, which injures the vessels - they lose elasticity, become fragile, prone to the appearance of varicose veins;
During pregnancy, veins appear on the legs due to an increase in weight of ten kilograms or more.
- During pregnancy, the work of the valves of the veins changes as the volume of circulating blood increases. It should be noted that varicose veins after pregnancy, if left untreated, do not go away anywhere;
- Hereditary factors. If one of the parents of a pregnant woman has varicose veins, there is a good chance of manifesting the same disease;
- Choosing the wrong clothes and shoes. Sometimes pregnant women are amazed where varicose veins come from, not thinking that tight clothes and high-heeled shoes can cause it;
- Decreased physical activity. In the veins of the legs during pregnancy, stagnation of blood can begin if the pregnant woman moves little and does not do special exercises.
Some of the causes that cause varicose veins during pregnancy are easy to eliminate - just change your habits.
Symptoms and signs
Varicose veins during pregnancy at the initial stage are difficult to detect, since there are no pronounced symptoms.
However, it is worth contacting your doctor if the following symptoms are present:
- feeling of heaviness and pain in the legs; edema
- , especially in the evening, if you sit for a long time;
- convulsions, especially at night;
- redness or darkening of the skin;
- the appearance of vascular networks;
- seals on the skin, the appearance of trophic ulcers;
- Inflamed veins during pregnancy are easily palpable.
Types of varicose veins in pregnancy
Varicose veins during pregnancy can be of many types. The most common disease is:
- in the groin;
- on the legs;
- in the vagina;
- in the womb.
The manifestation of varicose veins in the small pelvis has symptoms similar to some gynecological diseases, so it is very difficult to diagnose. With each pregnancy, the risk of varicose veins on the lips also increases (symptoms are most noticeable after physical exertion or intercourse).
Varicose veins and pregnancy have a great impact on the female body, causing additional stress on many organs, so it is important to identify the disease at an early stage.
To identify varicose veins in pregnant women, the duplex ultrasound method is used today. This modern type of diagnosis has replaced CT angiography and Doppler mapping. Duplex ultrasound is performed within twenty minutes and provides detailed information on the condition of the deep and superficial veins.
In some cases, for additional diagnostic purposes, perform:
- Segmental doppler.A simple but reliable test that indicates the condition of the arteries, establishing their patency and narrowing.
- BMR (magnetic resonance venography).If varicose veins are diagnosed during pregnancy, this examination allows you to assess the condition of the vessels without using contrast, it does not cause any damage to the body.
- Computed tomographic venography.It is carried out using contrast, allows you to assess the condition of vessels at great depth. If the varicose veins have unclear symptoms, this type of examination is prescribed.
Methods of treatment of diseases
Not all methods that can be used to treat varicose veins after pregnancy can be used during pregnancy. For example, during pregnancy injections of certain drugs cannot be used and surgery is not always possible. These restrictions also apply to women with varicose veins in the legs, but who are planning to become pregnant within the next two years.
As mentioned earlier, varicose veins during pregnancy are dangerous due to the limitations of treatment options. However, there are situations when drug treatment is not enough, and then surgery is performed. For example, if severe thrombophlebitis is expressed or if there are non-healing trophic ulcers.
In most cases, operations are performed at a gestational age of not more than six months, sclerotherapy or frequency ablation is used, and other operations are performed after pregnancy. In the postoperative period, wearing special underwear and therapeutic exercises are prescribed - these recommendations apply to the postpartum period.
Today, if severe varicose veins are detected during pregnancy, they practice using a laser as a treatment instead of a scalpel. Modern technique allows you to overcome varicose veins quickly and safely.
Doctors are well aware of the danger of varicose veins, so they recommend contacting specialists at the first signs of the disease. In such a situation, a course of venotonic drugs and means to normalize the blood density are prescribed. There is also a large selection of special ointments and gels for external use, including those containing Gingko biloba. All drugs that affect the tone of the veins are serious, so they should only be taken according to the schedule recommended by the doctor.
People have been faced with the tandem of "pregnancy and varicose veins" for a long time, therefore, earlier and even today, traditional methods such as lotions, tinctures, ointments, baths are widely used in the treatment. Of course, if the disease is neglected, these techniques are considered exclusively as an auxiliary therapy, but in the early stages, alternative treatment is quite effective.
- Tinctures of hops help well in overcoming the early stages of varicose veins during pregnancy. You need to take 1 tablespoon of bumps, pour 200 milliliters of boiling water and store for 20 minutes. After that, the solution is drained and used for compresses. Likewise, infusions are prepared from the flowers or leaves of horse chestnut. These compresses can be applied at night and kept on the leg until the morning.
- The veins are treated during pregnancy with a powder of peeled horse chestnut fruits: 50 grams of this powder are poured with 200 milliliters of vegetable oil, and the legs are massaged with the composition obtained before bedtime;
- If early varicose veins are detected during pregnancy, scalded cabbage leaves are used for compresses, which relieve inflammation, pain, and swelling.
Varicose veins during pregnancy on the legs are recommended to be treated with trays of infusions of various medicinal herbs, the choice of which is quite large in every pharmacy. Recommended during this operation:
- do not exceed the temperature of the solution in the bath to 38 degrees;
- take baths for a maximum of 15 minutes;
- do a relaxing massage after the procedure;
- Lie down at the end of the bath for 30 to 40 minutes with your legs elevated.
Varicose veins in pregnant women are also treated with decoctions of herbs which are taken orally:
- A decoction of flowers of meadow clover is prepared: 1 tablespoon of chopped flowers is poured into a thermos and poured with 400 milliliters of boiling water. After two hours, strain the broth and take ½ cup 4 times a day;
- You can make a collection from coltsfoot, wild strawberries and lingonberries, five-lobed motherwort, and calendula and viburnum flowers. The ingredients are mixed in equal parts, 2 tablespoons of the resulting mixture are poured with 400 milliliters of boiling water and kept for 15 minutes in a water bath. After that, you need to keep the collection for 40 minutes in a warm place. Take ½ cup 4 times a day.
Varicose veins of the legs, like any disease, should not only be treated, but also preventive measures should be taken to prevent the disease or prevent its recurrence:
- It is not recommended to sit or stand for a long time. It is best to rest on your side to relieve stress from the veins in the legs and small pelvis.
- To relieve stress on the veins in your legs, keep your legs elevated while lying or sitting.
- To ease the veins in your legs during pregnancy, wear special compression hosiery. These underwear help redistribute blood through the veins, stimulate blood in the veins in the legs, and reduce the risk of blood clots. It is recommended to wear compression stockings not only during, but also after pregnancy, for a month and a half to two months.
Remember that varicose veins on the legs are less common in people who exercise and lead healthy lifestyles. Even light exercise helps maintain fitness and reduce the risk of developing varicose veins.